Forgiveness and Freedom: Sexual Abuse (Main Forum)
Welcome to Catholica, Dawn and thank you for your personal story/reflection. It is good to know that you are moving forward with your life, understanding that there are seasons for everything.
Unfortunately, for many, this healing doesn't come so graciously and quickly. This is because of the secrecy that often surrounds these abuse cases, as is so often the case within the Catholic Church. Victims were often not even able to tell their parents, simply because they did not want to bring shame, or often these parents simply did not believe them. I also know of people that have been abused outside of the church, but because of the identication of it at an early stage, they were able to restore their lives, and as the old adage goes, "get over it". Whilst there remains a culture of clerical abuse that has been constantly ignored and covered up within the church, these victims will continue to find great difficulty in finding their wholeness, if that is possible, but at least the peace they so desperately crave over the resolution of such cases. And whilst there remains a leader who purports to be the moral authority in the world, then our job as mothers (and fathers), is far from over, lest we see this abuse continue on the innocents, our children. This is not about hate, but about finding the kind of justice that Jesus himself would have wanted. Do you not agree? Until such a time happens, there will not be a season of forgiveness for many people within the church.
- Forgiveness and Freedom: Sexual Abuse - Dawn Elaine, 2010-04-10, 12:00
- Dawn Elaine, thank you very much.............. - Bill Dowsley, 2010-04-10, 12:10
- Forgiveness and Freedom: Sexual Abuse - Gaspode, 2010-04-10, 12:13
- Forgiveness and Freedom: Sexual Abuse - Brian Coyne, 2010-04-10, 12:18
- Forgiving frees me - herbie, 2010-04-10, 12:26
- Forgiveness and Freedom: Sexual Abuse - Liz, 2010-04-10, 13:35
- Forgiveness and Freedom: Sexual Abuse - PaulW, 2010-04-10, 17:29